Sunday, April 28, 2019

1863 blog post

November 29, 1863
Dear Mary,

I hope all is well with you and the children, they are probably very worried about me. I have sent them parcels filled with goodies for Christmas I hope they enjoy it. Anyway, once i tell you about the Battle of Gettysburg, you could probably tell it to them for story-time. Oh and I really did like the picture of Traveler that the kids made for me. I always keep it in my haversack. Okay, I've been off topic too much O_O. So here we go. It was five months ago when we marched up to Pennsylvania- July first. We arrived at the outskirts of Gettysburg and we started to come at them and they started shooting at us, but we overpowered them to the point where they were running backwards in the streets of Gettysburg-it was hilarious!! Oh gosh if only I could send you a picture. I really wanted to make the South very proud when I won a battle in the North, but I guess I was wrong. All I did was lose the battle and let the North take control of the Mississippi, it split us in half. I guess it was arrogance that ate me up, egging me to march up and fight in the North and win, but alas no, that would never work. I could try again but that would be too risky.  I should probably defend instead of assault. Also, slightly off topic, I think the North's president is trying to steal your pecan pie recipe- I know its been passed down, but from where?

-Robert

P.S. I really liked the haversack that you sent me. It made all the other soldiers jealous.
P.P.S. I believe Carter wants to speak with you about coming over in my place for Christmas dinner to surprise the kids- you should talk with him, he'll be glad to see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A song for the Union (bonus)

T'was before the war in 1860 when I captured John Brown raiding Harper's Ferry (I know that was a while  ago but i still remember it...