Wednesday, May 1, 2019

1864 Blog

December 22, 1864
Dear Mary,

I think it is only right to save you the trouble of listening to the horrid Union rumors that fly around in Virginia. So Sherman's March was way to extreme, the Union says it "was necessary to subdue the South". No, they are false, don't believe that. The truth is they marched to Atlanta pretty worn out because they were low on resources and our armies kept clashing. We had wanted to hold out until November to seek peace from the new president, but alas no. The Union sabotaged our plan once again, they just had to march from Atlanta to Savannah setting slaves free (which we agree with) and burning, destroying and robbing the civilian's property (that is what is excess). I'm sure Rooney would have loved to watch it after all he loves the bonfires at our camping trips, I'm sure he would have  loved to see the city set ablaze. While our six other children watch in terror, Rooney would probably have a bucket of popcorn on his lap watching the battle unfold. :)Anyway I just wanted to let you know if the Yanks give you a hard time about that now you know the facts. :) Oh and tell Agnes and Annie they did a really good job on their painting and that they should make more :)

I'll be home soon, I promise:
Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment

A song for the Union (bonus)

T'was before the war in 1860 when I captured John Brown raiding Harper's Ferry (I know that was a while  ago but i still remember it...